Glivec (imatinib), which is known as "Gleevec" in the United States, is a cancer treatment indicated for:
- Adult and pediatric patients with newly diagnosed Philadelphia chromosome (bcr–abl) positive (Ph+) Chronic Myeloid Leukemia for whom bone marrow transplantation is not considered as the first line of treatment.
- Adult and pediatric patients with Ph+ Chronic Myeloid Leukemia in chronic phase after failure of interferon-alfa therapy, or in accelerated phase or blast crisis.
- Adult patients with newly diagnosed Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL) integrated with chemotherapy.
- Adult patients with relapsed or refractory Ph+ ALL as monotherapy.
- Adult patients with myelodysplastic syndrome/myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD) associated with platelet-derived growth factor receptor (PDGFR) gene rearrangements.
- Adult patients with advanced hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and/or chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL) with FIP1L1-PDGFRa rearrangement.
Glivec is also indicated for:
- Adult patients with Kit (CD117)-positive unresectable and/or metastatic malignant gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GIST).
- Adjuvant treatment of adult patients who are at significant risk of relapse following resection of KIT(CD 117)-positive GIST. Patients who have a low or very low risk of recurrence should not receive adjuvant treatment.
- Adult patients with unresectable dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) and adult patients with recurrent and/or metastatic DFSP who are not eligible for surgery.
This information is based on the European Summary of Product Characteristics. The prescribing information in your country may vary; please consult your local prescribing information and/or contact your local Novartis representative.
To contact us in your country of residence, please click here